Parents Notification of Rights Under FERPA
This is to advise parents of their rights with respect to the school records relating to (your son) (your daughter) (you) pursuant to the Federal “Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.”
- Parents or eligible students have a right to inspect and review any and all education records.
- Such parents and eligible students are also entitled to an opportunity to a hearing to challenge the content of such records, to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights, and to provide an opportunity for the correction or deletion of any such inaccurate, misleading or otherwise inappropriate data contained therein. Any questions concerning the procedure to be followed in requesting such a hearing should be directed to the Program Director.
- Student records and any material contained therein which is personally identifiable, are confidential and may not be released or made available to persons other than parents or students without the written consent of such parents or eligible students. There are a number of exceptions to this rule, such as to other school employees and officials, and certain State and Federal officials, who have a legitimate educational need for access to such records in the course of their employment.
- Parents or eligible students have the right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by the District to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
- Sullivan BOCES designates the following information as directory information: “Directory Information” shall mean and include the following: student’s name, parent’s name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received and the most recent previous educational agency attended and photographed
- When making student directory information public, Sullivan BOCES shall give annual public notice as to the type of information to be made public and shall allow thirty (30) days after such notice for a parent to inform Sullivan BOCES that any or all information designated shall not be released.